- Recipient of National
Scholarship awarded by Government of India during the period 1969-1975.
- Secured first rank in Bachelor of Engineering
(Honors), University of Madras, Madras, India in 1975.
- Was presented the Jawaharlal Nehru Memorial award, by
the Department of Education, Government of India, through Madras
University, India in 1975.
- Was awarded a Gold medal and $125 by the Old Boy’s
Association of College of Engineering, Guindy, Madras, India in 1975.
- NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award, 1985.
- Excellence in Teaching Award, School of Engineering,
University of Southern California, 1990.
- Four NASA Certificates for SAR Segmentation Using
Imaging Physics and Markov Random Fields (with E.J. Rignot).
- Best industry-related paper award, International Conf.
on Pattern Recognition, The Hague, Netherlands, August 1992 (with Q.
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 1992.
- Fellow, International Association of Pattern Recognition, 1996.
Research Faculty Fellow, University of Maryland, 1996-1998.
- IEEE Signal Processing Society Technical Achievement
- Distinguished Scholar-Teacher Award, University of
Service Award, IEEE Computer Society, 2004.
- Minta Martin
Professor of Engineering, 2005-Present.
- Best student paper
award, International Conference on Pattern Recognition,
Hong Kong, August 2006 (with A. Sundaresan).
Innovator of the Year Award (Information Science), Office of Technology
Commercialization, University of Maryland, 2007 (with A. Sundaresan).
- A.J. Clark School of
Engineering Faculty Outstanding Research Award, 2007.
Lecturer, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2008-2010.
- Meritorious Service
Award, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2008.
- Technical Achievement
Award, IEEE Computer Society, 2008.
- Fellow, Optical
Society of America, 2008
- Outstanding Mentor,
UMD GEMSTONE program, 2009.
- IEEE Signal Processing
Society Award, 2009 given at ICASSP, March 2010.
- Outstanding Electrical
and Computer Engineer, Purdue University, September 2010.
- Poole and Kent Teaching Award for Senior Faculty, Clark School of Engineering, 2011.
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2011.
- K.S. Fu Prize from the International Association of Pattern Recognition, Nov. 2012.
- Fellow, Association for Computing Machines, 2013.
- Fellow, Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, 2014.