- Associate Editor
- IEEE Transactions on Acoustics,
Speech, and Signal Processing, 1987-1989.
- IEEE Transactions on Neural
- IEEE Transactions on Image
- IEEE Transactions on Pattern
Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1996-1999.
- Computer Vision and Image Understanding, 2011-2013.
- Image and Vision Computing, 2011 –.
- SIAM Jl. Of Imaging Science, 2013 –.
- Computer Vision, Graphics and
Image Processing: Graphics Models and Image Processing, Academic
Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 2001-2004.
- Co-Guest Editor of Special Issues
- IEEE Transactions on Image Processing Special Issue on Applications of Artificial Neural Networks to Image Processing, August 1998, with K. Fukushima, A.K. Katsaggelos, S.Y. Kung, Y. LeCun, N, Nasrabadi and T. Poggio.
- International Journal of Computer Vision, Special Issue Based on Best Papers from CVPR 2004, with A. Bobick and L.S. Davis.
- Proceedings of the IEEE, Special Issue on Biometrics, Nov. 2007, with J. Phillips and D. Reynolds.
- IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, Special issue on Distributed Camera Networks: Sensing, Processing, Communication and Computing, Oct. 2010 with W. Heinzelman, J. Konrad, D. Schonfeld and M. Wolf.
- International Journal of Computer Vision, Special Issue on Stochastic Image Grammars, June 2011, with S. Todorovic.
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Special Issue on Video Analysis on Resource-Limited Systems, Oct. 2011, with A. Cavallaro, Y. Wu, C. Shan, Y. Fu and K. Pulli, 2011.
- IEEE Journal of Special Topics in Signal Processing, Special Issue on Anomalous Pattern Discovery for Spatial, Temporal, Networked, and High-Dimensional Signals, with Al Hero, Robert Nowak, Venkatesh Saligrama and Venu Veeravalli.
- IEEE Trans. on Information Forensics and Security, Special Issue on Intelligent Video Surveillance for Public Security & Personal Privacy, with Noboru Babaguchi, Andrea Cavallaro, Frederic Dufaux and Liang Wang.
- Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Special issue in honor of Prof. Jake Aggarwal, 2012, with Baba Vemuri.
- International Journal of computer Vision, Special issue on Domain Adaptation, 2014, with Xu Dong, Hal Daume and Trevor Darrell.
- Board of Governors, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 1996-1999,
Multimedia Steering Committee, IEEE
Signal Processing Society, 1999.
- Vice President Awards, IEEE Signal Processing Society, 2002-2004.
- President, IEEE Biometric Council.
- Nominations Committee Chair, IEEE Biometric Council, 2011-2012.
- IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Pattern Analysis and
Intelligence, Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Biomedical
Engineering, Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Neural Networks, Systems,
Man, Cybernetics, and Circuits and Systems, Proceedings of the IEEE.
- Computer Vision Graphics and Image Processing, Automatica,
Intl. Jl. of Computer Vision, Signal Processing, Image and Vision
- ICASSP, 1987 - 2016 ICIP, 1994-2015
- IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Visual Motion, 1989, 1991,
- IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and
Pattern Recognition, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1997, 1999, 2000, 2002-2015
- International Conference on Computer Vision, 2001-2015
- European Conference on Computer Vision, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014.
- International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 1990,
ASSP Society Conference on Multidimensional Signal Processing, 1989,
Signal Processing Society Workshop on Signal Processing and Neural
Networks, Sept., 1991, 1993.
International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, 1990, 1991, 1992.
Congress on Neural Networks, 1993.
- Program Committee Member, AAAI-97,
- Program Committee Member, Indian Conf.
on Graphics, Vision and Image Processing, 1998-2012.
- NSF Panels to select research
initiation awards, carrier
awards, regular awards, state,
industry, university centers, SBIR awards and ITR awards.
- DARPA Panel on MSTAR Architecture, 1994, NSF/DARPA WTEC/JTEC
Panel on Digital Libraries, 1997, DARPA ISAT Panel on Dynamic Databases, 1997, DARPA/ISO Panel
on Continuous Tracking, 1998 and DARPA / IXO Panel, 2002, DARPA ISAT,
member 2009 -2012.
- Area Chair, CVPR 2008, CVPR 2009, ICCV 2007, ICCV 2011, ICCV 2015.
- Member, DARPA ISAT Study Group 11/2009 - 11/2012.
- Reviewer for research
proposals submitted to AFOSR, ARO, NSF and NASA.
- Member ship in
- Member, Technical Committee on Multidimensional Signal Processing,
IEEE Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, 1985 - 1997.
- Member, Technical Committee on Pattern Analysis and Machine
Intelligence, IEEE Computer Society, 1984-present
- Member, Technical Committee on Neural Networks and Signal
- Member, Technical Committee on Multimedia Signal Processing
- Recognition at
Workshops and Conferences
- Panelist, Sessions on
Image Models, First Second, Third, Fourth and Seventh Workshops on
Multidimensional Signal Processing, New York, Oct. 1981, Lake Tahoe,
1983, Leasburg, Virginia, Oct. 1985, Lake Placid, 1991.
- Program Committee Member, Indo-U.S.
Workshop on Systems and Signal Processing, Bangalore, India, January
1988, November 1989.
- General Chairman, IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and
Pattern Recognition, San Diego, CA, June 1989.
- General Chairman, IEEE Computer Society Workshop on Artificial Intelligence
for Computer Vision, San Diego, CA, June 1989.
- Technical Program
Co-Chairman, NSF Workshop on Markov Random
Fields for Image Processing, Analysis and Computer Vision, San Diego,
CA, June 9, 1989.
- Discussion Leader, Tri-Services
Workshop on Stochastic Image Modeling, 1992.
- Technical Program
Chairman, IEEE Workshop on Neural Networks
for Signal Processing, Baltimore MD, 1993.
- Technical Program
Chairman, Second International Conference on
Image Processing Crystal City, 1995.
- Panelist, Human-Computer Interfaces,
Intl. Conf. on Image Processing, Santa Barbara, Oct. 1997.
- Panelist, 50 years of
Image Processing, Intl. Conf. on Image Processing, Chicago, IL, Oct.
Chair, Fifth Conf. On Automatic Face and
Gesture Washington D.C. 2002.
- General Chair, Intl. Conf. On Multimedia and Expo, Baltimore, 2003.
- Co-Technical Chair, IEEE Computer Society Conf. On Computer Vision and Pattern
Recognition, Washington, D.C. 2004
- Co-General Chair, IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Oct. 2008.
- Co-General Chair, IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern
Recognition, Newport Beach, RI, June 2012.
- Co-General Chair, IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Face and Gestures, Shanghai, April 2013.
- Co-General Chair, First Intl. Conf. on Identity, Security and Behavioral Analysis, Hong Kong, March 2015.
- Co-General Chair, IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Computer Vision and Patt. Recn., Puerto Rico, June 2017.
- Service to the University - Has served on numerous Group,
Department, College and University level committees in USC and UMD.
- Invited Talks - Has given numerous
invited talks at Universities, Industries, and Research Centers. (Too
many to list).
at Conferences, Workshops, etc.
in IMDSP workshop, (1996), ICASSP'97 (expert summary), NATO ASI on
Face Recognition (July 1997), Norwegian National Conference on Image
Processing (May 1997), First Intl. Conf. on Audio-Video Biometric
Based Person Authentication (March 1997), OSA Annual Symposium (Oct.
1998) and EUSIPCO (Sept. 1998), Real-time Face Recognition Tracking
Workshop (2001), Events workshop (2003), NSF Biometrics workshop
(July, 2003), Interagency Biometrics Meeting (Sept. 2003) SPIE, Conf.
on Homeland Security (Dec. 2003). First US-European workshop on
Micro Air Vehicles (Sept. 2005), First Indo-US Workshop Micro Air
Vehicles (August 2005), Fourth Workshop on Auto ID (Nov. 2005), IEEE
International Conf. on Image Processing, Atlanta, GA, Oct. 2006.,
International Conf. on Image Analysis and Processing, Modena, Italy,
2007, Distinguished talks at CMU, Rutgers and Northwestern in Fall
2006, in UPenn (Feb. 2007), UIC (Nov. 2007), Noblis (Nov. 2007), Rice
University (Feb. 2008), UT Austin (Feb. 2008), Univ. of Nebraska,
Lincoln, (Feb. 2008), First US-Asian workshop on Micro air Vehicles,
Agra, India (March 2008), NC State (March 2008), Syracuse University
(Nov. 2008), DICTA, Canberra, Australia (Dec. 2008), SCIA, Oslo,
Norway (June 2009), BMVC, London, UK (Sept. 2009), Univ. of Florida,
Gainesville (March 2010), George McKay Visiting Professor, Univ. of California, Berkeley, April 19-23, 2010, Spencer Lecture, U. of Missouri-St. Louis (May 2010), Automatic Face and Gestures Conference, Santa Barbara, CA (March 2011), The Johns Hopkins University ( April 2011), Univ. of Delaware, (May 2011), JHU/Applied Physics Laboratory (May 2011), Brown University, (Oct. 2011), Keynote Speaker, ICCV Workshop on Stochastic Grammars, Barcelona, Spain (Nov. 2011), Keynote speaker, First Asian Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Beijing, (Nov. 2011), Keynote Speaker, BTAS 2012, Washington D.C. (Sept. 2012), Keynote Speaker, ECCV Workshop on Re-Identification of Humans, Florence, Italy (Oct. 2012), K.S. Fu Prize Lecture at ICPR, Tokyo, Japan, (Nov. 2012), CVPR Workshop on Activity Recognition Using 3D Data, Portland, OR (June 2013), ICCV 2013 Workshop on Visual Domain Adaptation and Dataset Bias, Sydney, Australia (Dec. 2013), Distinguished Lecture, 25th year anniversary celebrations, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong (March 2014), Mercer lecture, ECSE Dept, RPI (April 2014), Distinguished lecture, EE, EPFL, Switzerland (June 2014), E.I. Jury Lecture, ECE department, Univ. of Miami (Dec. 2014), Banquet Speaker, ISVC 2014, Las Vegas (Dec. 2014), Distinguished Lecture, Dept. of ECE, Northwestern University, IL, (April 2015).