Information Retrieval Systems
The following readings will be assigned to specific students, who are
asked to write one-page summaries of the key points by midnight
Thursday night. These summaries should be posted to ELMS.
Assigned Summaries for Module 3 (Ranked retrieval)
- Tefko Saracevic, (1999) Information
Science. Journal of the American Society for Information
- Donna Harman, Edward Fox, Ricardo Baeza-Yates and W. Lee, "Inverted
Files," in William B. Frakes and Ricardo Baeza-Yates,
Information Retrieval: Data Structures and Algorithms,
Prentice Hall, 1992, Chapter 3.
- Karen Sparck-Jones, "What is the Role of NLP in Text
Retrieval?," in Tomek Strzalkowski (ed.), Natural Language
Information Retrieval, Kluwer, 1999, Chapter 1, pp. 1-24.
- David A. Ferrucci, "Introduction
to 'This is Watson'," IBM Journal of Research and
Development, 56(3-4)1:1-1:15, 2012.
- Hang Li and Jun Xu, Semantic Matching in Search, Foundations
and Trends in Information Retrieval, 7(5)343-469, 2014. Read
only Chapter 2.
Assigned Summaries for Module 4 (Interaction)
- Amit Singhal, "Pivoted
Document Length Normalization," SIGIR 1996.
- Djoerd Hiemstra and Arjen P. de Vries, "Relating the
New Language Models of Information Retrieval to the Traditional
Retrieval Models," Technical Report TR-CTIT-00-09.
- James Allan, ed. "Challenges
in Information Retrieval and Language Modeling", SIGIR
Forum, 37(1)31-47, Spring, 2003.
- Stephen Robertson and Hugo Zaragoza, "The
Probabilistic Framework: BM 25 and Beyond," Foundations and
Trends in Information Retrieval, 3(4)333-389, 2009. Read only
- Hang Li, "Learning
to Rank for Information Retrieval and Natural Language
Processing," Synthesis Lectures on Human Language
Technologies, Morgan and Claypool, 2011. Read only Chapter 2.
Assigned Summariess for Module 5 (Evaluation)
- Peter Pirolli and Stuart Card, "Information
Foraging," Psychological Review. 106(4), 643-675,
- Meredith Ringel Morris and Jamie Teevan, Collaborative
Web Search: Who, What, Where, When and Why?, Synthesis
Lectures on Information Concepts, Retrieval and Services,
Morgan and Claypool, 2009. Read only Chapter 3.
- Max Wilson, Search
User Interface Design, Synthesis Lectures on Information
Concepts, Retrieval and Services, Morgan and Claypool,
2011. Read only Chapter 5.
- Tatiana Gossen, Marcus Nitsche, Jana Vos and Andreas
of a Search User Interface towards User Needs: A Prototype
Study with Children & Adults," Proceedings of the Symposium
on Human-Computer Interaction and Information Retrieval, 2013.
- Hugo Huurdeman and Jaap Kamps, "From
Multistage Information-Seeking Models to Multistage Search
Systems," in Conference on Information Interaction in
Assigned Summaries for Module 6 (Web search)
- Stefano Mizzaro. "How Many Relevances in Information
Retrieval?," Interacting With Computers,
- Ellen M. Voorhees, "Variations in Relevance Judgments and the
Measurement of Retrieval Effectiveness," Information
Processing and Management, 36(5)697-716, 2000.
- Andrew H. Turpin and William Hersh, "Why
Batch and User Evaluations Do Not Give the Same Results,"
- Mark D. Smucker, James Allan and Ben Carterette, "A Comparison
of Statistical Significance Tests for Information Retrieval
evaluation" ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge
Management, pp. 623-632, 2007.
- Mark Sanderson, "Test
Collection Based Evaluation of Information Retrieval
Systems," Foundations and Trends in Information Retrieval,
4(4)247-375, 2010. Read only Chapter 6.
Assigned Summaries for Module 7 (Evidence from behavior)
- Carlos Castillo and Brian D. Davison, "Adversarial
Web Search, Foundations and Trends in Information
Retrieval, 4(5)377-486, 2010. Read only chapter 2.
- David Carmel and Elad Yom-Tov, Estimating
the Query Difficulty for Information Retrieval, Synthesis
Lectures on Information Concepts, Retrieval and Services,
Morgan and Claypool, 2010. Read only Chapters 1 and 2 (which
are both short).
- Ricardo Baeza-Yates, Andrei S. Broder and Yoelle Maarek, "The
New Frontier of Web Search Technology: Seven Challenges,"
in Search Computing: Trends and Developments, Springer, 2011.
- Rodrygo L.T. Santos, Craig Macdonald, Richard McCreadie, Iadh
Ounis and Ian Soboroff, "Information
Retrieval on the Blogosphere, Foundations and Trends in
Information Retrieval, 6(1)1-125, 2012. Read only Chapter 4.
- Sandeep Pandey, Mohamed Aly, Abraham Bagherjeiran, Andrew
Hatch, Peter Ciccolo, Adwait Ratnaparkhi and Martin Zinkevich,
"Learning to Target: What Works for Behavioral Targeting,"
Proceedings of the 20th ACM International Conference on
Information and Knowledge Management, pp. 1805-1814, 2011.
Assigned Summaries for Module 8 (Evidence from description)
- Thorsten Joachims, Laura Granka, Bing Pan, Helene Hembrooke,
Filip Radlinski and Geri Gay, "Evaluating
the accuracy of implicit feedback from clicks and query
reformulations in Web search," ACM Transactions on
Information Systems, 25(2), 2007.
- Emily Steel and Julia Angwin, "On
the Web's Cutting Edge, Anonymity in Name Only," Wall
Street Journal, 2010.
- Georg Buscher, Andreas Dengel, Ralf Biedert and Ludger V Elst,
Documents: Eye tracking as implicit feedback for information
retrieval and beyond, ACM Transactions on Interactive
Intelligent Systems, 1(2), 2012.
- Dmitry Lagun, Mikhail Ageev, Qi Guo and Eugene Agichtein, "Discovering
Common Motifs in Cursor Movement Data for Improving Web
Search," Proceedings of the 7th ACM International
Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, pp. 183-192, 2014.
- Huiji Gao, Jiliang Tang, Xia Hu and Huan Liu, "Exploring
Temporal Effects for Location Recommendation on Location-Based
Social Networks", in Proceedings of the 7th ACM conference
on Recommender Systems, pp. 93-100, 2013.
Assigned Summaries for Module 9 (Filtering and recommendation)
- Carl Lagoze and Herbert Van de Stompel, "The
Open Archives Initiative: Building a Low-Barrier
Interoperability Framework," Proceedings of the First
ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, Roanoke,
VA, June 2001, pp. 54-62.
- Nigel Shadbolt, Wendy Hall and Tim Berners-Lee, "The
Semantic Web Revisited," IEEE Intelligent Systems,
- Johannes Hoffart, Fabian M. Suchanek, Klaus Berberich and
Gerhard Weikum, "YAGO2:
A spatially and temporally enhanced knowledge base from
Wikipedia," Artificial Intelligence, vol. 194, pp. 28-61,
- Hannah Bast, Florian Baurle, Bjorn Buchhold and Elmar
Semantic Full-Text Search at your Fingertips, arXiv
preprint arXiv:1207.2615v3, July 18, 2013.
- Eamon P. Duffy, Searching
HathiTrust: Old Concepts in a New Context," Partnership,
The Canadian Journal of Library and Information Practice and
Research, 8(1), 2013.
Assigned Summaries for Module 10 (Scanned documents)
- Jonathan L Herlocker, Joseph A. Konstan, Loren G. Terveen and
John T. Riedl, "Evaluating
Collaborative Filtering Recommender Systems," ACM
Transactions on Information Systems, 22(1)5-53, 2004.
- Robert M. Bell and Yehuda Koren, "Lessons
from the Netflix Prize Challenge," SIGKDD Explorations,
- Bart P. Knijnenburg, Svetlin Bostnadjiev, John O'Donovan and
Alfred Kobsa, "Inspectability
and Control in Social Recommenders," Proceedings of the
Sixth ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, pp. 43-50, 2012.
- Jiliang Tang, Huiji Gao, Xia Hu and Huan Liu, "Context
Aware Review Helpfulness Rating Prediction," in Proceedings of
the Seventh ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, pp. 1-8, 2013.
- Li Chen and Pearl Pu, "Experiments
on User Experiences with Recommender Interfaces," Behavior
and Information Technology, 33(4)372-394, 2014.
Assigned Summaries for Module 11 (Cross-language search)
- Paul Conway, Preserving
Imperfection: Assessing the Incidence of Digital Imaging Error
in HathiTrust, Preservation, Digital Technology & Culture,
- Utpal Garain, Arjun Das, David S. Doermann and Douglas W. Oard,
Statistical Transliteration for Dictionary-Based
English-Bengali CLIR of OCR'd Text," in 24th International
Conference on Computational Linguistics, pp.339-348, 2012.
- Rajiv Jain, Douglas W. Oard and David Doermann, "Scalable
Ranked Retrieval Using Document Images," in 21st SPIE Document
Recognition and Retrieval Conference, 15 pages, 2014.
- Pingping Xiu and Henry S. Baird, "Whole-Book
Recognition," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and
Machine Intelligence, 34(12), 2012.
- Sumit Bhatia and Prasenjit Mitra, "Summarizing
figures, tables, and algorithms in scientific publications to
augment search results," ACM Transactions on Information
Systems, 30(1), 2012.
Assigned Summaries for Module 12 (Speech and music)
- Ling-Xiang Tang, In-Su Kang, Fuminori Kimura, Yi-Hsun Lee,
Andrew Trotman, Shlomo Geva and Yue Xu, "Overview
of the NTCIR-10 Cross-Lingual Link Discovery Task,"
Proceedings of the 10th NTCIR Conference on Evaluation of
Information Access Technologies, 31 pages, 2013.
- Paul McNamee, Textual
Representations for Corpus-Based Bilingual Retrieval,
Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Maryland Baltimore County,
2008. Read only Chapter 6.
- Philipp Sorg and Philipp Cimiano, "Cross-lingual
information retrieval with explicit semantic analysis,"
Working Notes for the CLEF 2008 Workshop, 2008.
- Douglas W. Oard, Peter Brusilovsky, Daqing He, Judith Klavans,
Tomasz Loboda, Leiming Qian, Dagobert Soergel and Pengyi Zhang,
"Formative Evaluation for Multilingual
Multimedia Search and Sense-Making," Handbook of Natural
Language Processing and Machine Translation, Springer, 2011.
- Jianqiang Wang and Douglas W. Oard, "Matching
Meaning for Cross-Language Information Retrieval,"
Information Processing and Management, 48(4)631-653, 2012.
Assigned Summaries for Module 13 (Photographs and Video)
- Jonathan Foote, "An
Overview of Audio Information Retrieval," ACM-Springer
Multimedia Systems, 7(1)2-10, 1999.
- John S. Garofolo, Cedric G. P. Auzanne and Ellen M. Voorhees,
TREC Spoken Document Retrieval Track: A success story," in
Proceedings of the Eighth Text Retrieval Conference,
1999, pp. 107-130.
- Rodger J. McNabb, Lloyd A. Smith, Ian H. Witten, and Clare
L. Henderson, "Tune
Retrieval in the Multimedia Library," Multimedia Tools
and Applications, 10(2-3)113-132, 2000.
- Mark Podlaseck, Robert Hoch and Edith Schoenberg, This
is Not a Catalog: Philip Glass's Works Online, IEEE
Multimedia, 10(4)4-7, 2003.
- William Byrne, David Doermann, Martin Franz, Samuel Gustman,
Jan Hajic, Douglas Oard, Michael Picheny, Josef Psutka, Bhuvana
Ramabhadran, Dagobert Soergel, Todd Ward and Wei-Jing Zhu, "Automatic
Recognition of Spontaneous Speech for Access to Multilingual
Oral History Archives," IEEE Transations on Audio and
Speech Processing, 12(4), 420-435, 2004.
- Howard Wactlar et al., "Complementary
Audio and Video Analysis for Broadcast News Archives,"
Communicatuions of the ACM, 43(2)42-47, 2000.
- Tom Yeh, Brandyn White, Jose San Pedro, Boris Katz, Larry
S. Davis, "A
Case for Query by Image and Text Content: Searching Computer
Help Using Screenshots and Keywords," Proceedings of the
20th International Conference on World-Wide Web, pp. 775-784,
- Rahul Garg, Deva Ramanan, Steven M. Seitz and Noah Snavely, "Where's
Waldo: Matching people in images of crowds," IEEE
Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2011.
- Cuong Nguyen, Yuzhen Niu and Feng Liu, "Video
Summagator: An Interface for Video Summarization and
Navigation," Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human
Factors in Computing, pp. 647-650, 2012.
- Duo Ding, Florian Metze, Shourabh Rawat, Peter Franz Schulam,
Susanne Burger, Ehsan Younessian, Lei Bao, Michael G. Christel
and Alexander Hauptmann, "Beyond
Audio and Video Retrieval: Towards Multimedia
Summarization," Second ACM International Conference on
Multimedia Retrieval, 2012.
Last modified: Fri Nov 21 08:50:14 2014