LBSC 708X/INFM 718X
Seminar on E-Discovery
"Berman" refers to the textbook, Michael D. Berman, et al., eds.,
Managing E-Discovery and ESI: From Pre-Litigation Through
Trial, ABA, 2011. Some readings may be available through
E-Reserve on ELMS.
- Richard L. Marcus, "The 2006 Ammendments to the Federal Rules of
Civil Procedure Governing Discovery of Electronically Stored
Information Fitting Electronic Discovery Into the Overall
Discovery Mix," in Shira A. Scheindlin, Daniel J. Capra and The
Sedona Conference, Electronic Discovery and Digital Evidence:
Cases and Materials, West Publishing, 2008. (Available on
- Berman chapter 2. (Available on ELMS)
- Berman chapter 14
- Milton Luoma and Vicki Luoma, "Data Maps: A Best Practice for
the Meet-and-Confer," International Confernece on Economics and
Finance Research, Singapore, 2011. Available online at http://www.ipedr.net/vol4/107-M10086.pdf.
- Jason R. Baron, "Law in the Age of Exabytes: Some Further
Thoughts on 'Information Inflation' And Current Issues in
E-Discovery Search," 17 Rich. J. L & Tech. 9 (2011), available
- Victor Stanley, Inc. v. Creative Pipe, Inc., 250 F.R.D 251 (D. Md. 2008), available at http://www.nycourts.gov/ji/commercial-litigation/PDFs/1.c.%20Victor%20Stanley%20v.%20Creative%20Pipe.pdf
- Mt. Hawley Ins. Co. v, Felman Production, Inc., 271 F.R.D. 125 (S.D. W. Va. 2010), available at http://www.iediscovery.com/files/Mt_Hawley.pdf
- Aguilar v. Dep.t of Homeland Security, ICE, 2008 WL 5062700 (S.D.N.Y. Nov. 21, 2008), available at http://www.thesedonaconference.org/content/miscFiles/AugilarSlipOpinion.pdf
- William Butterfield, "The Case for Cooperation," The Sedona
Conference Journal, Fall, 2009, available at http://www.thesedonaconference.org/content/tsc_cooperation_proclamation/caseforcooperation.pdf
- Mancia v. Mayflower Textile, available at
- Christopher Hogan, Robert S. Bauer and Dan Brassil, "Automation of
legal sensemaking in e-discovery," Artificial Intelligence and Law,
Volume 18, Number 4, 431-457, DOI: 10.1007/s10506-010-9100-1. (available from the University libraries).
- Fioster Gibbons, "Best Practice in Managed Document Review,"
ICAIL 2011 Workshop on Setting Standards for Searching
Eletronically Stored Information in Discovery Proceedings (DESI
IV), Pittsburgh, PA, 2011. Available at http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~oard/desi4/papers/gibbons.pdf.
- Berman chapter 20
- Ralph Losey, "Secrets of Search," e-Discovery Team blog, Read
All posts on this blog are also available at http://e-discoveryteam.com/
- Maura R. Grossman and Gordon V. Cormack, "Technology-Assisted
Review in E-Discovery Can Be More Effective and More Efficient
than Exhaustive Manual Review," Richmond Journal of Law and
Technology, 17(3), 2011. Available online at http://jolt.richmond.edu/v17i3/article11.pdf
- Douglas W. Oard, Jason R. Baron, Bruce Hedin, David D. Lewis
and Stephen Tomlinson, "Evaluation
of Information Retrieval for E-Discovery," Artificial
Intelligence and Law, 18(4)347-386, 2010.
- Chris Knox and Scott Dawson, "ISO 9001: A Foundation for
E-Discovery," ICAIL 2011 Workshop on Setting Standards for
Searching Eletronically Stored Information in Discovery
Proceedings (DESI IV), Pittsburgh, PA, 2011. Available at
- William Webber, "How Accurate Can Manual Review Be," IREvalEtAl
blog, Available at http://blog.codalism.com/?p=1549#more-1549.
Required Readings for Week 7 (Early Case Assessment)
- Berman chapter 19
- Jason R. Baron, "E-discovery and the Problem of Asymmetric
Annual Georgia Symposium on Ethics and Professionalism,
Macon, GA, 2008.
- Paul Mark Sandeler, "The World of a U.S. Magistrate Judge: An
Interview with Paul W. Grimm," The Daily Record, January 26,
2007. Available online at http://www.shapirosher.com/pages/news/136/the-world-of-a-u.s.-magistrate-judge_an-interview-.
- Michael Berman, Facts for Conference of
the Parties, undated.
- Allison C. Stanton and Andrew J. Victor, "What We See in the Clouds: A Practical
Overview of Litigating Against and on Behalf of Organizations Using
Cloud Computing," United States Attorneys' Bulletin,
- Paul T. Jaeger, Jimmy Lin, and Justin Grimes, Cloud
Computing and Information Policy: Computing in a Policy Cloud?,
Journal of Information Technology & Politics, 5(3):269-283, 2008.
- The Sedona Conference, Finding the Hidden ROI in Information
Assets (2011), Available online at
- ARMA International, Maturity Model for Information
Governance, 2010. Available at http://www.arma.org/garp/metrics.cfm
Jason Baron and
Last modified: Mon Apr 23 18:48:47 2012